Whether you are boarding your dog for the day or for multiple days due to travel or for other reasons, you want to keep your pet as safe and comfortable as possible. Taking your dog to a boarding facility can be stressful because you not only want to keep your dog calm but you also need to pack certain items for them. It is always a good idea to ask your dog boarding facility what they recommend bringing for your dog to give your dog the best time possible while at a boarding facility. Below are 5 things you should pack your dog to give both you and your dog a happy, stress-free time away from each other.
5 Things to Pack for Your Dog When Boarding
- Comfort Items
- When your dog is away from home, it can be comforting to them to have a familiar item or two. Does your dog have a favorite toy or other item they love to play with? Pack it for them! If you think your dog may miss you while you are gone it is a good idea to pack a t-shirt, pillowcase, or blanket that smells like you because your scent will provide them comfort.
- If your dog is staying overnight, it is often a good idea to pack a bed or blanket for them. It is always more calming or comfortable to sleep on something that is familiar to you and the same goes for your dog. Give your dog the best sleep possible and pack something cozy and familiar for them to sleep on.
- Food & Treats
- Your dog is probably used to eating certain foods and treats. Even if your boarding facility provides food or treats, it is probably better for you to pack your own so that you can avoid the risk of your dog getting an upset stomach from unfamiliar food.
- Medicine and/or Supplements
- If your dog consistently takes any medication, vitamins, or supplements, bring them with you to the boarding facility. Make sure they are well labeled with instructions for dosage to ensure your dog’s safety.
- Most dog boarding facilities will require you to fill out paperwork and also supply certain documents in order to take your dog at their facility. Common documents that facilities often ask for include things like medical records, vaccination records, emergency contact information, and any other documentation that may be pertinent.